The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2017-2018 became available on October 1, 2016. To qualify for priority financial aid consideration, you must be accepted to the university and have a processed and valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment on or before March 1. It is recommended that you submit your FAFSA as early as possible in order to meet this priority date and use a non-high school affiliated email address. Be advised that it takes 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed and received by Western.
How to Apply
- Create and FSA ID for the student and parent (as applicable) at fsaid.ed.gov
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov using Western’s federal school code: 001380
- It is strongly suggested that students use a non-high school affiliated email address.
- Almost all male students (US citizens & eligible non-citizens) ages 18-25, are required to register with the Selective Service in order to apply for financial aid.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA to ensure accurate and timely processing of your financial aid application.
- First-time attending students must be accepted to the university by the Admissions Office by the March 1 deadline in order to maintain priority consideration status.
Next Steps: Verification
- Additional information may be requested of you if selected for a process called Verification. If you are selected, you will be notified via email to the email address you included on your admission application.
- If not previously used, you may be asked to updated you FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- All verification forms are made available on our website a wcsu.edu/finaid/forms.
- Verification documents requested must be received by the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment by the timeline indicated in the email notification.
- Please do not submit additional documents unless they are requested.
Financial Aid Award Offer
- Award notifications are sent to the email included on your admission application.
- Follow the instructions provided to accept or decline your financial aid award offer.
- Students are provided 3 weeks from the date of notification to accept or decline.
- Financial aid offers are made based on the availability of funding at the time of packaging.
- Should you accept any portion of a federal student loan, you will be required to complete additional requirements.
- Make note of specific award messages.
- Use this Quick Reference Guide for assistance.
Additional Financing Options
Federal Direct Student Loans are automatically awarded to students in their maximum eligible amounts. If there are additional financing needs, the following options are available:
- Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents of dependent students students at studentloans.gov. Parent PLUS Loan applications for 2017-2018 are available after April 1, 2017. In order to apply, a valid FAFSA must be on file.
- Private Educational Loans are also available. A listing or private loans and lenders cane be access at elmselect.com.
NOTE: Any aid awarded to a student is contingent upon WCSU receiving federal and/or state funds.
Student awards may be adjusted with the receipt of new financial information during the academic year, or in accordance with the student’s enrollment status as of the Enrollment Freeze Date. Financial aid is awarded to matriculated students who are registered at least half-time (6 credit hours). For more information concerning the above process or any related questions, please call our office at 203-837-8580.