Theatre Arts at WestConn
The Department of Theatre Arts provides a strong theoretical and practical approach to the study of the art and craft of theatre. Students who major in theatre arts prepare for graduate studies and/or careers directly related to performance, design/technology, management and dramaturgy. Students also combine theatre studies with other majors and/or minors such as music, art and media, to enhance work opportunities within the entertainment industry.
In addition to its academic functions, the department serves the campus and community by offering diverse theatrical performances including, musicals, traditional plays, and plays for children. Connections to the greater theatre community are promoted through sponsorship of professional training workshops and performances of guest artists. Our proximity to New York City (one hour to mid-town Manhattan) gives us an opportunity to make excellent use of its vast resources.
The theatre faculty maintains close ties with professional organizations, activities and research facilities within the area and opportunities are regularly planned to introduce students to the professional environment.
Areas of Study
- Professional Resident Faculty
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival Participation
- Yearly New York City Showcase, “WCSU Off-Broadway”
- Children’s Theatre and Community Outreach Programs
- Workshops with N.Y. Stage, TV and Film Professionals
- Internships possible with New York City and Connecticut Regional and Professional theatres.
Stay up-to-date on all Department of Theatre Arts News and Announcements – Follow us on Facebook!