In an effort to provide chemistry majors, exploratory students, transfer students, and others with advisement information germane to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry the Chemistry Faculty has crafted this statement of advisement document.
- Dr. Russ Selzer is the Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and can be reached via email at email@example.com, by phone at 203-837-8440, or in-person in SB 323.
- Dr. Paula Secondo is the Associate Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 203-837-8795, or in-person in SB 339.
- Merisa Williams is the Administrative Assistant for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and can be reached via email at email@example.com, by phone at 203-837-8669, or in- person in SB 324.
- All full-time chemistry faculty advise chemistry and biochemistry majors.
- The Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is responsible for assigning advisees to faculty advisors.
- The Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is responsible for ensuring that advisement of current chemistry/biochemistry majors, incoming chemistry/biochemistry majors, transfer students, exploratory students, and others is performed during the summer months and winter intersession. Dr. Russ Selzer is available on campus multiple days per week during the summer months and winter intersession.
- All chemistry faculty are available via email (at a minimum) during the summer months and winter intersession to assist students with issues of advisement.
- Chemistry faculty send their advisees an email to remind them to schedule an advisement meeting.
- An override into a particular chemistry course must first be approved by the course instructor. If an override is approved by the course instructor, the course instructor will forward the requisite information (i.e – student’s name and chemistry course) to Merisa Williams, Dr. Russ Selzer, or Dr. Paula Secondo. Final override approval must be given by the Chair or Associate Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
- Dr. Paula Secondo is the Pre-Health Advisor.
- All chemistry and biochemistry majors have the ability to change their faculty advisor by speaking with the Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
- In preparing to meet with their faculty advisors, chemistry and biochemistry majors are expected to construct a draft of their schedule and to bring this draft to their advisement meeting.
- Beyond finalizing a schedule during an advisement meeting, the chemistry faculty discuss topics with their advisees that include, but are not limited to, current coursework, future career goals, internships, REUs, graduate school, and various others.
- The registration PIN is only given to a chemistry or biochemistry major who has already met with his/her advisor.