The Western Connecticut State University Child Care Center is licensed by the State of Connecticut and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. NAEYC administers the largest and most widely recognized national, voluntary, professionally sponsored accreditation system for all types of early childhood schools and child care centers. The WCSU Child Care Center provides high quality, developmentally appropriate experiences for children ages 3 through 5.
The Center’s Background
Former President James W. Roach formed the WCSU Child Care Commission in 1993. Since that time, the Commission and the Center’s Advisory Board have worked to promote and develop the WCSU Child Care Center. Major fundraising efforts were undertaken including the first annual WCSU Cabaret for Child Care. In the spring of 1997 WCSU sent out a competitive request for proposal to select an agency to operate the child care center. EdAdvance was selected to operate the program.
The WCSU Child Care Center exists to provide a safe, developmentally appropriate learning environment for preschool children of the Western Connecticut State University Community as well as the Danbury region. We provide engaging early care and education experience that encourages parental involvement and promotes each child’s social/emotional, physical and cognitive development.
The WCSU Child Care Center will provide an enriching licensed and NAEYC Accredited program for children between the ages of 3 and 5. The professional staff will work in close collaboration with the University, parents, community and resources within EdAdvance to continually refine and improve the high quality early childhood education and resources provided for children and families.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide an environment that encourages the social and emotional development of young children.
- To provide an environment that fosters creative and analytical thinking skills.
- To provide an environment that fosters language and communication development, and supports children as they move towards independence.
- To provide an environment that promotes children’s readiness for school through hands on learning, positive adult-child interactions, a consistent daily routine, and ongoing child assessment.
- To collaborate with WCSU faculty and staff, the professionals at EdAdvance, and with local community agencies to provide enrichment opportunities for the children at the Center. The program director, with input from parents, staff, and advisory board members, will reassess the effectiveness of our community collaborations annually and continually seek out other opportunities that will enhance the experience of our preschool children and their parents.
- To annually engage in a reflective process to assess quality and the effectiveness of the program as measured by accreditation requirements, SDE evaluation measures and program measures.
Interested in applying? Please complete the Registration Form on-line and email completed form to HalpinL@wcsu.edu Please note space is limited.