Financial Aid: Renewal Applicants
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2017-2018 became available on October 1, 2016. To qualify for priority financial aid consideration, you must have a processed and valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment on or before March 1. It is recommended that you submit your FAFSA as early as possible in order to meet this priority date. Be advised that it takes 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed and received by Western.
How to Apply
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov using Western’s federal school code: 001380
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA to ensure accurate and timely processing of your financial aid application.
- The 2015 income information that was used to complete your 2016-2017 FAFSA should also be used to complete your 2017-2018 FAFSA.
- Any discrepancies in income information between award years may result in adjustments to prior awards and, in some cases, a balance due to the Cashier’s Office.
Next Steps: Verification
- Additional information may be requested of you if selected for a process called Verification. If you are selected, you will be notified via email to the email address you included on your admission application.
- If not previously used, you may be asked to updated you FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- All verification forms are made available on our website a wcsu.edu/finaid/forms.
- Verification documents requested must be received by the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment by the timeline indicated in the email notification.
- Please do not submit additional documents unless they are requested.
Financial Aid Award Offer
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and be enrolled for the subsequent term.
- Award notifications are sent to your Western email account.
- Follow the instructions provided to accept or decline your financial aid offer.
- Financial aid offers are made based on the availability of funding at the time of packaging.
- Should you accept any portion of a federal student loan, you will be required to complete additional requirements, if not completed previously.
- Make note of specific award messages.
Additional Financing Options
Federal Direct Student Loans are automatically awarded to students in their maximum eligible amounts. If there are additional financing needs, the following options are available:
- Parent PLUS Loans are available to parent of dependent students at studentloans.gov. Parent PLUS Loan applications for 2017-2018 will be available after April 1, 2017. In order to apply, a valid FAFSA for the student must be on file.
- Private Educational Loans are also available. A listing of private loans and lenders can be accessed at elmselect.com.
NOTE: Any aid awarded to a student is contingent upon WCSU receiving federal and/or state funds.
Student awards may be adjusted with the receipt of new financial information during the academic year, or in accordance with the student’s enrollment status as of the Enrollment Freeze Date. Financial aid is awarded to matriculated students who are registered at least half-time (6 credit hours). For more information concerning the above process or any related questions, please call our office at 203-837-8580.