Office of the Registrar

Degree Requirements

Program Sheets
Each student and his/her major department should maintain a program sheet which is a checklist of the requirements needed to earn a degree in one’s major. An electronic degree audit can be found in your Banner Web account by clicking the Degree Works for Students link. Detailed instructions can be found by clicking this link. Every semester, you and your advisor should review the program sheet based on the work you successfully completed in the previous semester. This will allow you to keep track of what courses you have yet to take to earn your degree, and help your advisor to assist you in scheduling sequenced or irregularly offered major courses.

Applying For Graduation
For undergraduates, degrees are awarded at the end of intersession (January), Spring semester (May), Summer session (August) and Fall semester (December).  The Application for Graduation must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office (Using the online form). You may fill out a form here.


Graduation Date                                                Application Deadline

May                                                                        November 1

August                                                                   February 1

December                                                              April 1

January (Intersession)                                           April 1

Once the application is submitted, you will receive an evaluation from the Registrar’s Office listing the requirements you still need to fulfill.  Evaluations are done in the order in which they are received.  Students that apply by the deadlines listed above will receive their evaluations back before the next registration period begins.

Foreign Language Requirements

All students enrolled in B.A. programs and secondary education majors must fulfill the foreign language requirement in one of the following ways:

  1. By completing three years of one foreign language in high school with an overall “C” average.
  2. By studying a total of three years of two foreign languages in high school with an overall “B” average.
  3. By successfully completing a foreign language proficiency examination, or by providing the necessary documentation outlined in the language waiver policy in this catalog.
  4. By successfully completing a language immersion experience of one semester abroad.  Consult the Department of World Languages and Cultures.
  5. By successfully completing the specified language courses at WCSU.  Students may fulfill the foreign language requirement by successfully completing an Introductory II second-semester course in languages offered in the Department of World Languages and Cultures, or any one semester of a language course at the intermediate level or above that is taught in the target language, not in English.Dr. Stacey Alba D. Skar, Chair
    Department of World Languages and Cultures
    Berkshire Hall Room 223
    (203) 837-8485.

Have you met the Foreign Language requirement? Check with the Registrar’s Office. If you have not, be sure to build it into your schedule as soon as possible.

Physical Education Requirement
Fitness for Life courses comprised of one semester hour of lecture and one semester hour of activity fulfills the requirement. Not more than 1 SH credit through varsity athletics is allowed toward the P.E. requirement and, in accordance with University policy, courses cannot be repeated for credit toward graduation.

Students are encouraged to take physical education activities beyond the minimum requirement throughout their total program for their own enjoyment and well being. Students who wish to may accumulate P.E. credits beyond the requirement to be used as free electives.

A resolution exempting Veterans from the physical education requirement has become a University policy. If you wish to opt for this P.E. waiver, please file a copy of your discharge papers, specifically form No. 214N, or V.A. 22-1993a, in the Registrar’s Office. If you have received a Veteran’s waiver you may take P.E. activities to earn free elective credit.