WCSU Student Handbook 2019-20

Frequently Asked Questions – General Topics

White HallAccessAbility Services

Q. What must I do to register for services and/or accommodations?

A. Visit the Office of AccessAbility Services (AAS) in White Hall, Room 005 to obtain an Accommodation Intake Form or complete the form online, then submit your disability documentation to AAS. After that, schedule an Intake Meeting by calling AAS at 203-837-8225, 203-837-8284 (TTY) or by sending an email to obere@wcsu.edu.

Q. If I am approved for accommodations, do I have to tell my professors what my disability is?

A. The Office of AccessAbility Services at your request will email an accommodation letter to your professors. The letters list the accommodations, i.e. extended time on exams, but they do not disclose your disability. Students may decide to disclose their disability to their faculty members individually. Please remember once you are approved for accommodations you must request your accommodation letters each semester.

Q. When should I register with AccessAbility Services?

A. You may register with the Office of AccessAbility Services at any time, ideally before the semester begins, or in the case of a new disability, as soon as you are diagnosed.

Campus CenterCareer Success Center

Q.  What is the Career Success Center and where can I find it? 

A. The Career Success Center operates across the university through career experts, student Career Peer Leaders, class visits, online software and a new Career Studio for drop-ins located in the Westside Campus Center. The Career Success team works extensively with students, faculty, businesses, employers and other regional resources to enable professional and personal opportunities … provide students with benefits and opportunities toward vocational wayfinding and employment opportunities. They provide many useful workshops and engaging career events throughout the year, all of which can help students provide context for what they are learning in the classroom. Career Peer Leaders are well-prepared students who can be available on both campuses to co-explore and support career basics. The full-time staff is available to faculty, students, and student organizations for specialized workshops and relevant job/career/vocation support programs, and manage the university internship programs.  The Career Success Center studio is located on the Westside campus in the Campus Center, 3rd Floor, Suite 300 and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. or after hours by appointment. They can also be reached via careersuccess@wcsu.edu and 203-837-8263.

Q. When should I start visiting the Career Success Center?

A. Today! Freshman are strongly encouraged to visit, grab a water or snack, or even just pick up some tips at the Studio or at the traveling level-up bar. The Career Success Center can help students through the whole career-readiness process, including exploring career fields, understanding and developing employment skills, engaging with employers/mentors, and even finding jobs (on campus and off-campus).  The staff provides a full range of career and employment-related products, online tools, job search support and other services to help students progress confidently toward graduation. Your career readiness must start early in your academic career, and it will continue throughout your life!

Q. When should I plan to do an internship?

A. The Career Success Center manages the university’s free elective internship program which can play an essential role in developing work skills and facilitating a career journey. We can help students navigate the internship process as they near the 45-credit mark; an internship is usually paid and for credit (1-12 free-elective credits). Stop by the Career Success Center Studio at any time and use the creative online career resources: http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/career-services/students/resources.asp.  We even have a photo studio to get that professional shot for your online portfolio or LinkedIn.  Don’t forget to include “applied learning” into your academic plan!

Old MainCashier’s Office

Q. When will I receive a bill?

A. For the fall semester, bills are posted online on June 20th and payment is due July 15th. For the spring semester, bills are posted online on November 20th and are due December 15th. WCSU does not mail bills; all billing is online.

Q. What are my payment options?

A. Online: With EZpay you can securely pay your bill online using your debit or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express) or by electronic check using your checking or savings account. Credit card payments will be subject to a 2.85% / $3 minimum convenience fee. Login to EZpay at http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/ezpay/.

Mail: You can mail in a check or money order to WCSU, ATTN: Cashier’s Office at 181 White Street, Danbury, CT 06810. Make checks payable to Western Connecticut State University and include your student ID number on the payment. Checks returned for insufficient funds or stop payment will result in a $20 fee and you will be subject to late payment penalties.

In person: Payments by cash, check or money order can be made at the Cashier’s Office, located in Old Main, Room 106. The Cashier’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Payments are not accepted over the phone.

No mailed, faxed or in-person credit card transactions will be accepted.


Q. What do I do if I have been injured or my property has been damaged while I was on WCSU property?

A. If you are filing a claim to get reimbursed for doctors expenses incurred, please first file a claim through your insurance company. All full- and part-time students should either be covered through their own health insurance. For damages to personal property, please check with your own homeowners insurance first. If you are considering filing additional claims, please know that Western Connecticut State University is an agency of the State of Connecticut, and as such claims by individuals against the university for alleged losses and damages are barred by the Doctrine of Sovereign Immunity. A person claiming injuries or damages as a result of state action must pursue a claim through the State of Connecticut’s Office of the Claims Commissioner. For further information, please visit that office’s website at occ.ct.gov/.

Clubs CarnivalClubs and Organizations

Q. A few of my friends and I would like to form a new student organization. What do we have to do?

A. Go to the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) in SC 227 and pick up a New Student Organization Creation Packet. Or, you can find this document online at wcsu.edu/studentlife. In there you will find the “Procedures for Establishing a Recognized Organization.” Once your organization has been approved by the SGA, the organization’s officers need to complete training with the Center for Student Involvement before being fully recognized. You will be assisted by the CSI Staff and SGA Parliamentarian (SGAParliamentarian@wcsu.edu) throughout the process.

Commuter Students

Q. I am a commuter student. How do I get involved?

A. Here are a few things you should do and need to be aware of in order to stay connected:

  1. If you are new to WCSU, attend the commuter orientation session and actively take part in everything else. You are just as much a part of WCSU as the residential students.
  2. Attend Clubs Carnival. Every fall during Welcome Week the current clubs hold a carnival to recruit new members. Find out about them and sign up.
  3. Make sure you sign up for your WCSU email account and check it regularly. The Commuter Student Organization (CSO) will probably send an e-newsletter to that address (as will some of the faculty regarding your classes).
  4. Consider joining the Commuter Student Organization (CSO). Contact Assistant Dean of Students Daryle Dennis at dennisd@wcsu.edu for more information.
  5. WOW - What's On at WCSU?Check out what events are happening on campus by reading the WOW (What’s On at WCSU) email and make it a point to attend. Check the Events Calendar on the home page, go to Banner and check out the announcements in WestConnduit, or set pages such as the “Coffeehouse” (wcsu.edu/stuaffairs/coffeehouse.asp) website as your favorites.
  6. Find out what clubs are active on campus and let them know you are interested in joining. You can also check out the Recreation webpage for information on club sports or stop by the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) in SC 227 to ask questions or to start your own club.
  7. Look for fliers all around campus. Clubs are always using fliers to advertise their events, many of which are free and open to all students.
  8. Talk to other students. Go to the Colonial Corner and hang out, strike up conversations. WCSU is full of commuter students, so it shouldn’t be hard to find someone who feels just like you do.
  9. Ask questions. Can’t find anything you are looking for? Not sure what’s out there? Check with the info desk, the CSI, or call the Student Affairs office at 203-837-9700.
  10. Most of all — make sure being a student at WCSU is the best experience it can be. We are here to help you.

Confidentiality (FERPA)

Q. What is the Student Consent Form and when/why should I fill one out?

A. As a general rule, staff at the university will not discuss your grades, attendance record, bill, or financial aid information, etc. with any third party unless we have your permission to do so (certain exceptions apply). While we prefer that students handle all of their affairs relating to their life at the university themselves, there may be certain instances when you may want university staff to be able to talk to your parents (i.e. if they pay your bills, you fall ill, or study abroad). If you want to give the university permission to talk to your parents/guardians or any other third party, you need to fill out the Student Consent Form which can be found online at wcsu.edu/registrar/forms/ or at the Registrar’s Office, Old Main 102.

Student CenterCounseling Center

Q. How can I make an appointment?

A. Just give us a call at 203-837-8690 or visit the Counseling Center in room 222 of the Student Center. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Q. If an emergency situation comes up after hours, what should I do?

A. Please call 911 or 211.

Q. Is there a fee for your services?

A. No, services are free to all matriculated undergraduate and graduate students.

Event Promotion

ADPi Table at HomecomingQ. Our student organization is going to hold an event on campus. How do we promote it?

A. The first stop for promoting your event should be the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) in SC 227. They can help you with the creation and distribution of flyers. For all promotions, a publicity request form must be completed at least two to three weeks in advance of the event. You may request that your announcement gets

  • Placed in WestConnduit
  • Announced on WXCI
  • Advertised in The Echo
  • Placed in the university events calendar
  • Played on the campus shuttle/WCSU Campus Informational Channel
  • Released to and by local media

Be aware that all SGA-funded student organizations must state on any publicity, both printed and oral: “Funded by the SGA.”

All general use bulletin boards on campus are available for student organization use (glass and walls are not appropriate posting locations). Be respectful of others’ flyers. You may remove those that have expired but do not cover up or remove those that are still current. Preferably use four thumb tacks to prevent your flyers from curling up.

For campus shuttle flyers, please submit an electronic flyer to the CSI or directly to Virginia Diaz at diazv@wcsu.edu in Student Affairs at least two weeks prior to the event. (DVDs are created on Thursday and placed on the shuttle the following Monday). Flyers should be in landscape format with large font explaining the what, when and where of the event.

Information regarding events that are open to the entire campus community and/or the public should be sent to the Office of University Relations to be posted on the events calendar. Please contact Sherri Hill at hills@wcsu.edu if you need an event posted or for help promoting an event. Press releases to local media outlets also need to be authorized through the Office of University Relations. For student-only events, send the announcement to Birte Pfitzner at pfitznerb@wcsu.edu in Student Affairs, and she will place an announcement in WestConnduit. Email announcements are discouraged.

Webpages are another great way not only to publicize your events but also to showcase your organization. All webpages must be in accordance with CSU and WCSU computer-use policy, and Information Technology & Innovation will require an agreement signed by the webmaster (student responsible for the webpage) and the advisor. Forms are available at the CSI.

Remember: for any advertising a publicity request form must be completed and can be found on the forms webpage at wcsu.edu/studentlife.

Q. How do we get our event advertised in the WOW (What’s On at WCSU email)?

A. Events in the WOW are generally events that all students and sometimes the entire community can attend. In order to have your event included, please complete the event submission form at wcsu.edu/stuaffairs/wow/event.asp.

Financial Aid

Q. How do I apply for financial aid and what steps are involved?

A. Create an FSA ID for the student and at least one parent (as applicable) at fsaid.ed.gov. Complete the FAFSA online at fafsa.gov and use Western Connecticut State University’s code, 001380, on the application.

If your FAFSA is selected for Verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will be required to create an account and complete the verification process via the Verification Gateway online portal. Financial Aid has collaborated with Inceptia, a non-profit organization, to complete the verification process. Dependent students who provide parental information on the FAFSA are required to have one parent also authenticate and create an account. Instructions for this process is sent directly to students and parents from Inceptia.

Financial Aid Award Notifications are sent to new students at the email included in their admission application and to returning students at their WCSU email. In order to maintain eligibility, keep these things in mind:

1. You must remain a matriculated (degree-seeking) student.

Danbury Street Fair2. You must be registered for at least six credits or more per semester.

3. You must familiarize yourself with all financial aid policies and ensure compliance, including but not limited to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Repeat Course Policies. (wcsu.edu/finaid).

Students must reapply for financial aid every year. We strongly encourage students to meet our priority packaging deadline of March 1; students are awarded financial aid based on their eligibility and the availability of funding at the time of packaging. For more financial aid information, visit our website at wcsu.edu/finaid or contact your financial aid counselor.

Q. How do I find an on-campus job?

To be eligible for campus employment, students must be matriculated in at least six credits per semester. WCSU employs approximately 800 students during the academic year. Position announcements
can be found at wcsu.edu/finaid/student-employment. Students may also inquire directly with departments about job prospects at any time during the year. Once you secure a position, new student employees must complete new hire paperwork with Human Resources.

Note: Students must be awarded work study as part of their financial aid package to apply to work study only positions.

Campus Center Dining AreaFood & Dining

Q. Where can I eat on campus?

A. The Midtown Student Center Restaurant offers an endless variety of options for dining. Einstein Bagels is available in the Haas Library, offering the range of their menu options. Meal plans are accepted at this location.

The Westside Campus Center offers both resident and retail dining in the Westside Marketplace featuring Sandella’s, Grill 155, Ella’s Pizza and Pasta, a rotating wellness option, Chuck’s Wagon, a soup and salad bar, and grab-n-go offerings. For evening food and drink needs, stop by The Daily Grind in the Westside Campus Center for coffee, tea, smoothies, snacks and so much more.

Q. What meal plans are available and who can get them?

A. Meal Plan options have been designed to accommodate all resident and commuter students, faculty, and staff. Resident students are assigned to a meal plan based on their residence hall assignment but can always upgrade to another plan. For commuters, faculty, and staff, meal plans and flex-only plans have been created with you in mind. For more information, go to wcsu.sodexomyway.com.

Litchfield HallHealth Service

Q. What happens if I have a medical emergency?

A. Call 911 immediately for any medical emergency. Danbury Hospital on Hospital Avenue is approximately 0.5 miles from the Midtown campus.

Q. What happens if I am experiencing a mental health emergency?

A. You can call the Counseling Center at 203-837-8690, Monday- Friday during regular business hours. For after hours, the Western CT Mental Health Network has a 24-hr crisis hotline at 888-447-3339. In the event of a true psychiatric emergency, please call 911 immediately.

Q. What happens if I feel sick and Health Service is closed?

A. Healthcare resources can be found at staging.www.wcsu.edu/healthservices (click on “After Hours Care”)

Q. I have been out sick for so long that I don’t think I can successfully complete my classes. What do I do now?

A. Contact your academic advisor to let him or her know what’s going on and to find out about your options. You might get permission from your instruc- tor for an incomplete grade in an individual class that would allow you extra time to make up the work missed, or you may get permission from the instructor to withdraw from a course even if the withdrawal deadline has passed. If you cannot catch up in any of your classes, you may want to complete a ‘Leave of Absence’ form (LOA) to get all ‘W’ grades rather than failing grades. Filing the LOA form would allow you to return to WCSU after a break of one or two semesters. If you do not plan to return to WCSU, you complete a ‘Withdrawal’ form. All forms (accept for the “Incomplete” form) can be found online and should be submitted to the Registrar’s office. Health Service does not need to sign or authorize this process. Students who withdraw from some or all of their classes (even for medical reasons) need to be aware that this may influence their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) which is important for financial aid, housing and athletics. Please familiarize yourself with the requirements and consider filling out a SAP waiver form found at wcsu.edu/currentstudents/ SAP_Waiver.pdf. If you participate in any intercollegiate sport, please contact the Athletics Department to see if this will affect your continuing eligibility.

Q. I have a sore throat and fever. What do I do?

A. Call Health Service at 203-837-8594 for an appointment. The medical staff will triage your symptoms and try to accommodate you with a same-day appointment. Health Service is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Centennial HallHousing & Residence Life

Q. What if I just don’t like my roommate — no matter how hard I’ve tried? We just have different personalities and values … but I don’t want it brought up in a group discussion or with an RA. What do I do?

A. It’s hard to live with other people, but before you decide you just can’t live with someone, we’re going to work with you to alleviate your concerns and to help you learn about (and from) your roommate.  We find that often roommate problems are a result of poor communication. So, see your Resident Assistant (RA), who’s prepared to hear all about it from you. They’ll listen to your concerns and work with you on options to help you communicate, offer to mediate, and, barring any resolution, to help you switch rooms if that’s the final solution. Your Resident Director (RD) is also ready and willing to help.

Q. Am I guaranteed housing?

A. If you are a student who currently lives on campus and you pay your housing deposit by the published due date (usually late March) and fully participate in the housing selection process, we will commit to you. New students to the university must pay their housing deposit, complete an application and provide proof of having had a meningitis vaccine within the past 5 years.

Q. What happens if I turn in my housing deposit late?

A. If you are a student who currently lives on campus and you turn in your housing deposit late, you will have to reapply (fill out a new application) and will be assigned to housing as space becomes available. Housing is not guaranteed. If you are a new student who turns in your deposit after May 1st, you will be assigned to a room once your file is complete (application, deposit, and proof of meningitis) and as space is available. It is likely that you will not be able to be assigned to a specific roommate or hall if you’ve deposited late.

Q. Are the residence halls co-ed?

A. At WCSU, all of our residence halls are co-ed. Our Midtown halls are co-ed by floor or section and our Westside halls are co-ed by apartment. On the Midtown campus, this means that floors or sections alternate between male and female while on our Westside campus, this means the apartment/suite could alternate between male and female. Double rooms are occupied by two students of the same gender (sex). Co-ed floors have female-designated and male-designated bathrooms. (Upperclassmen may opt to live in gender neutral suites/apartments. There is a separate application process for this housing option).

Q. I’m a new student. Will I be placed with another first-year student?

A. In general, first year students are assigned to the Midtown campus with other first-year students, and transfers are assigned to the Westside campus in a room with other transfers or with returning students.

Q. What comes with my room?

A. Provided in your room are a bed, mattress (33” x 80”), dresser, desk, chair, closet and window blinds.

Q. Do the rooms have cable TV?

A. Every residence hall room is equipped with one cable TV outlet and the ability to connect to WCSU’s wired and wireless residence hall networks. Because these services are included as part of the room charge, no extra charges are accessed. TVs, cable cords and Ethernet cords are not provided in the residence hall rooms. Note: Your digital television must have a QAM tuner (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) to work with the school’s cable service. The QAM tuner allows your TV to receive high definition cable programming without a cable set top box. 


Q. If I get injured, am I covered under the Student Accident Plan?

A. Yes. All full-time students are covered under the Student Accident Plan. If you carry your own sickness plan, this insurance will pay accident costs that are not covered by your policy. For more information, go to http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/cashiers/aetna-accident-plan/

Q. Do I have to be enrolled in the insurance plan that the university offers to be seen at Health Service?

A. No. Full-time students may be seen at Health Service, regardless of the insurance plan they carry.

Eve in BotswanaInternational Student Exchange Program – ISEP

Q: Why should I study overseas?

A: Study abroad gives you the opportunity to learn about another culture, to improve foreign language skills, to experience self-reliance abroad, and to develop new intellectual pursuits and skills. Whatever the reasons, the experience will change your life and allow for new perspectives.

Q: When may I participate in Study Abroad?
A: You must have second semester sophomore standing or greater to participate in the program. Transfer students may qualify if they have completed one full semester at the University prior to studying abroad.

Q: Where may I study abroad?
A: WCSU participates in ISEP (International Student Exchange Program) offering programs in more than 50 countries. We also have various short courses abroad led by WCSU faculty.

Q: Can only certain majors study abroad?
A: No, the programs are not major specific and are open to all fields of study. It is important, however, that you plan ahead so that you can fit study abroad into your program and major.

Q: Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad?
A: Most of the programs are English based. There are a few that do require language proficiency.

Q: Is there a minimum Grade Point Average I must have?
A: Yes, the minimum GPA to study abroad with ISEP is 2.75. Some programs require a higher GPA.

ThailandQ: May I use financial aid for study abroad?
A: Yes, almost all financial aid including loans, grants, and scholarships are applicable to students studying abroad on ISEP-sponsored overseas studies programs. The component of financial aid that does not apply are WCSU work study awards. At times it is possible to work with your work study supervisor to complete your hours within one semester to ensure that you maintain that money. Financial aid packages are re-evaluated in light of the cost of a specific study abroad program and can be adjusted.

Q: May I pay for study abroad in installments?
A: Yes, just as you can pay your usual tuition in installments.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: The costs are equal to the cost of WCSU undergraduate tuition plus room and board, living in the WCSU residence halls. In addition, there is the cost of transportation to the study abroad site, ISEP health insurance, student visa costs (if any), and any additional travel and gift purchases that you may do or make.

Q: What credits can I earn in a study abroad program?
A: You can earn a variety of credits, depending on your program – free electives transfer the easiest.

JapanQ: Will all the courses that I take transfer as WCSU credit?
A: Yes, all courses above a “C” will transfer as WCSU credit. To ensure this, we recommend that you save your syllabi of courses taken.

Q: Can I earn major or minor credit?
A: Yes, this is often possible. However, credit toward major or minor requirements depends on prior approval from your major or minor department. You should work closely with the registrar’s office and the specific department chair to determine what is possible.

Q: What about my housing at WCSU if I live in the residence halls?
A: If you are accepted into an ISEP study abroad program, you will be released from your housing contract. While there is no guarantee that you will be able to re-enter housing upon return from your overseas program, we recommend working with Housing and Residential life to reserve places for the semester following your return.

Q: What are the overseas living arrangements?
A: They vary among programs. Possible options include dormitories (with dining hall or cooking facilities), apartments, home stays with host families, and group houses.

Q: Does my WCSU insurance policy cover me when I travel through a study abroad program?
A: Although most students are on their parents’ health insurance, ISEP does require that students purchase their health insurance for the time they are abroad. The cost is approximately $80 per month.

Q: When is the application deadline?
A: Fall Semester: February 15th; Spring Semester: September 1st. Summer program deadlines vary from February 15 through May 1st, depending on the program

Q: How do I apply?
A: Make an appointment with International Services, and check out the ISEP website at www.isep.org for more information.

Judicial Affairs OfficeJudicial Affairs

Q. Who may file a complaint or report alleged misconduct?

A. Any member of the university community may file a complaint against a student or student organization for alleged violation of the Student Code of Conduct. This could be any employee, faculty member, administrator, secretary, another student. A complaint should be made in writing and submitted to the Director of Judicial Affairs. The form is available online at wcsu.edu/stuaffairs/forms.asp.

Q. A staff member said I would not get in any trouble. Why is WCSU pursuing the incident?

A. Often students allege that staff members have assured them that they will not get in trouble. The fact is that only the Office of Judicial Affairs has the authority to determine whether or not a violation of the Student Code of Conduct exists and how this incident will be pursued.

Q. What happens if a student fails to attend a disciplinary meeting or hearing?

A. It is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct not to show for a disciplinary meeting or hearing. In addition to the alleged violation for the reason for the meeting, a student will also face additional charges for not showing.

Q. I’ve been told that I’ve had a hold placed on my account by Judicial Affairs: What does this mean? How do I get it removed?

A. The Office of Judicial Affairs places holds on a student’s account when that student has failed to complete a required judicial sanction by the mandated deadline. Both the sanction and its deadline are clearly listed in the meeting outcome/hearing outcome letter. This hold can only be removed with the completion of the sanction. Please contact the Office of Judicial Affairs if you have questions regarding the hold on your student account.

Q. I’ve received a sanction requiring me to complete Judicial Educators. How do I complete them?

A. To complete your required Judicial Educator, complete the follow steps:

  1. Use Internet Explorer (other Internet Browsers may not function correctly, causing you to have to start the whole process over again from the start).
  2. Log on to www.reslife.net.
  3. Click on the link below the four pictures that says “The Judicial Educator.”
  4. Enter the following username and password information into the login area:
     a.    Username: WCSU
    b.    Password: judicial
  5. Find the correct module(s), listed in your meeting/hearing outcome letter.
  6. Read the directions, then begin the training module.
  7. After you have successfully completed the module, an e-mail notification form will appear. Place the following e-mail address into the notification form, and the Office of Judicial Affairs will be notified that you have fulfilled your module obligation: alexanderc@wcsu.edu.

Q. My Judicial Outcome Letter says that I will be removed from the residence halls. Can I still attend class? What are my options?

A. Unless the meeting/hearing outcome letter states otherwise, a student who has been removed from the residence halls, regardless of the duration of that sanction, is not only allowed to attend classes, but strongly encouraged to do so. For short-term residence hall separations, it is recommended that the student commute, arrange temporary lodging with a close friend/family member, or take advantage of the local hotels in Danbury. For long-term residence hall separations, it is recommended that the student explore finding alternative lodging in the Greater Danbury area.

Q. I’ve been suspended/expelled from the university. What does this mean? What are my options?

A. Suspension – A student who has received suspension as a judicial sanction has been temporarily separated from all universities within the Connecticut State University System. The hearing outcome notice will always prescribe the date and conditions upon which the student may petition for readmission to the CSU system. A suspended student is restricted from taking online and normal university classes, and must contact either the Director of Judicial Affairs or the Dean of Students to receive permission for coming on campus for any reason whatsoever.

Expulsion – A student who has received expulsion as a judicial sanction has been permanently separated from all universities within the Connecticut State University System. An expelled student is restricted from taking online and normal university classes, and must contact either the Director of Judicial Affairs or the Dean of Students to receive permission for coming on campus for any reason whatsoever.

Q. I’ve committed a violation and am concerned about my Judicial Record. How long does it exist? Can anyone view my record? Can my judicial records be shared?

A. Your Judicial Record will exist for five years after the date of each incident (except for expulsion, which is permanent). Only you, those you’ve given permission to (FERPA Form), and university staff with an “educational interest” may view your judicial record. Judicial Records cannot be shared with outside agencies without your permission.

LCCC LogoLeadership

Q.  I have heard that companies and organizations are looking to hire employees with experience in leadership. What opportunities are there at WCSU to gain leadership experience?

A.  There are several ways in which students can gain experience in leadership.  First, a student can join one of the many student organizations on campus and run for one of the executive board positions, president, vice president, secretary or treasurer.  Some organizations, like the Student Government Association, have even more positions, such as senators, parliamentarian, and others.  Find out more by contacting the Center for Student Involvement at wcsu.edu/studentlife. Another way is to apply to and be accepted into the Hancock Student Leadership Program (HSLP) or sign up and complete all segments of the Leadership, Compassion, and Creativity  Certificate (LCCC).  For more information on the HSLP contact  Dr. R. Averell Manes, Program Coordinator or visit their website, staging.www.wcsu.edu/hslp, visit the LCCC website at wcsu.edu/leadership.

Q.  What is the difference between the HSLP and the LCCC?

A.  Students have to apply for the HSLP, are interviewed, and have to be accepted.  Once accepted, students receive a cash award of up to $1,500, participate in a three-credit semester-long leadership-shadowing field experience tailored to their academic major and career aspirations and, as participants in seminars framed by works about the challenges of being a leader, develop their personal leadership styles.  Also, students gain valuable contacts off-campus and important experience for their resumes. Most students apply for the HSLP program in the spring of their sophomore or junior year.
The LCCC program is an opportunity for students to earn a certificate in leadership, creativity and compassion by exploring these values across all Student Affairs disciplines and with people of all communities.  The program is self-paced and therefore flexible in the amount of time required.  It is recommended that students apply as freshmen or sophomores, but with prior experience credited toward some LCCC programs (if applicable), students can apply in their junior or senior year.

Missing Classes Due to Illness or Accident

Q. What do I do when I know I will be out sick for more than a couple of days due to an illness or because I have been in an accident?

A. Send an email to your professors explaining your situation and find out what you need to do to stay on track with your course work. If you cannot contact your professors yourself, call the Office of Student Affairs at 203-837-9700 to explain your situation. A confidential email will be sent to your professors on your behalf, informing them of the amount of time you will be absent. If you are out for more than five days, it is your responsibility to submit a doctor’s note to Health Service, which will follow up the initial, unofficial email with an official notification. Be aware that not all professors excuse absences even if they were due to an illness or accident.  If you are going to miss too many classes, it might be hard for you to catch up with your work. In that case, you should find out whether it is possible to get an incomplete grade for the course or if you can withdraw from one or more courses and continue with others. You could also consider taking a medical leave of absence for the semester which needs to be completed before the start of finals. Leave of Absence forms are available online and should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

5th Avenue Parking GarageParking

Q. When and how do I get a parking permit?

A. As of July 1, 2016 students are no longer required to register a vehicle and receive a parking permit.  Students may park anywhere in the designated student parking areas. PLease refer to the Parking Frequently Asked Questions for further information.

Sexual Assault

Q. What do I do if I or someone I know has been sexually assaulted?

A. Please refer to the university’s Campus Response and Resource Team (CaRRT) resources:


Q. How can I help stop sexual assault and interpersonal violence at WCSU?

A. Go to the CaRRT webpage and click on this link to learn more about what you can do to help: https://www.wcsu.edu/diversity/carrt/stop/


Q. Where can I buy stamps?

A. The information desks located in the Midtown Student Center and Westside Campus Center sell US stamps. For international stamps you could go to the US Postal Service Office on 265 Main Street, Backus Avenue (near the mall) or the Route 6 Mail Room at 60 Newtown Road.

CHOICESSubstance Abuse and Prevention Program (CHOICES)

Q. What can I do if I am concerned about myself or someone else’s use of substances?

A. The CHOICES office can provide support, education and counseling services for individuals who are worried about their own or others’ drinking or drugging behavior. Counselors are available for evaluation, consultation and on-going sessions.

Q. Will this information remain private?

A. All sessions at the CHOICES office are private and confidential. The only exception to this rule is: if a student is seen for policy violations and sessions are mandated. In this situation there may be some communication with the judicial department to confirm student obligations have been met. Only pertinent and necessary information will be shared and discussed with students first.

Q. How do I make an appointment with a counselor?

A. You can call the office at 203-837-8899 or stop by Student Center 211.


NYCQ. I need a ride! What are my options?

A. To get between campuses, use the Campus Shuttle. The shuttle is free of charge for the use of WCSU students traveling between the Midtown and Westside campuses. There are stops on both campuses, on Lake Avenue near Stop and Shop and the Danbury Fair Mall (weekends only). Please note there is no shuttle service in the summer, during intersession, over Presidents Weekend, and during Spring Break. For more information go to wcsu.edu/shuttle.

The City of Danbury also offers the HART bus service. Of course, there’s always the option of a taxicab although that can get expensive. Below are some numbers to keep on hand.

HART/Housatonic Area Regional Transit 203-748-2034
Maffei’s Taxi Service 203-792-0029
Connecticut Limousine (to airports) 800-472-5466

Q. How do I know which HART bus to take?

A. HART bus schedules are available on the HART webpage at hartransit.com.

Q. Can I get to the mall or AMC Loews Movie Theatre using the HART bus?

A. Yes. Check out the Hart webpage at hartransit.com or call 203-748-2034 for details.

Q. What’s the best way to get to New York City (short of driving)?

A. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) railroad line has a train departing from Danbury train station to Grand Central, but the ride is fairly long. MTA’s Brewster and Southeast stations (just over the border in New York, exits 20 and 19 off Interstate 84 West) are better options if you can get a ride to either station. For information for the MTA, call 212-532-4900, or visit http://mta.info. There is also bus and limousine service to the city. See below for more details on other long-distance travel:

Peter Pan/Bonanza Bus: 800-343-9999 or www.peterpanbus.com Greyhound Bus Lines: 800-231-2222 or www.greyhound.com
Coach Tours: 800-822-6224 or www.coachtours.com

Also, check out the “How to get to” webpage at wcsu.edu/orientation/helpfulhints.asp.