WCSU Student Handbook 2019-20

Frequently Asked Questions – Academics

Students Studying with Quad in the backgroundAcademic Advisement

Q. Is my academic advisor the person responsible for planning which courses I’ll take to get my degree?

A. Your advisor is responsible for giving you up-to-date information about the requirements for a degree with a particular major (and/or minor) and for approving your course selections. YOU are responsible for arranging meetings with the advisor, implementing the strategy the two of you agree to by checking when the right courses are available and registering in plenty of time to get into them. If there is a glitch or conflict (key courses are filled, or you want to drop something, etc.), you are responsible for setting up another meeting. This is called commitment to the advisement process, and it can spell the difference between staying on a smooth trajectory toward successful graduation or floundering around and possibly failing.

Q. When I see a great course being offered that I’d like to take, but worry about spending time on credits I can’t use toward my degree, whom do I see?

A. During your first semester, you were assigned a faculty advisor in your major/minor to help you make choices and plan strategies to ensure your academic success. This is the person who can help you. If you are Exploratory Studies and have not yet decided on a major, you will be assigned an advisor at the Academic Advisement Center (AAC). You can find out the name of your advisor by going into your Banner Web account and looking under student information or by calling the AAC at 203-837-8397.

Q. When and how should I make an appointment to see my advisor?

A. You should make an appointment to see your academic advisor when you want to plan for your next semester, when you have questions about academic policies and procedures, or when you need help locating other helpful resources on campus. A few words of advice: Don’t wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment. If you plan ahead, you will have more choices of required courses available to you, and you will be far less stressed out! Also, you can be sure that your advisor will have time to devote to you and your concerns. You can make an appointment with your advisor in three ways: by phone, via email and/or in person.

Q. Do I have to see my advisor to register for classes, even if I know what I want to take?

A. Yes. You must schedule an appointment to see your advisor prior to registration to ensure that you’re taking courses that fulfill your requirements. Also, you will need your advisor’s signature on a course selection card or your registration PIN for online registration.

Q. What is a “program sheet?” How do I get one?

A. All matriculated students should have a program sheet, which outlines courses you must take to fulfill your academic requirements. As you take courses at the university, you and your advisor will work with the program sheet to indicate your progress and determine which requirements you still need to fulfill. Think of your program sheet as a roadmap toward your academic goals. Students should have received a program sheet from the Admissions Office if they transferred credits to WCSU from another school. This program sheet will indicate courses that will be taken at WCSU and those already completed. If you are new to WCSU, you may pick up a blank program sheet in the Admissions Office, department chair’s office, faculty advisor’s office, Registrar’s Office, the Academic Advisement Center or online at wcsu.edu/academics/programsheets.

Adding a Course

Q. When and how can I add a course?

A. The add/drop period is held during the first six business days of every fall and spring semester. Students can make adjustments to their schedule during this time as necessary.

To add courses, you must complete your request before the end of the 6th business day of the semester. Any requests later than the first week of classes will require the approval of the instructor and department chairperson. Added courses that result in an overload (more than 17.5 credits) also need the approval of the dean.

For more information go to: http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/forms.asp

Appealing a Grade

Q. How do I appeal my final grade?

A. For more information, please refer to the Grade Appeal Policy.

Math EmporiumAttendance/Performance

Q. Is there a ‘cut limit’ at WCSU? What if the course is easy for me and I can get by just by studying someone else’s notes and the text?

A. You’re talking about attendance, right?

Western Connecticut State University is a non-attendance-taking institution but is required under federal law to report when a student has stopped attending classes. Faculty will report when a student has either never attended a class or when a student has stopped attending a class. Students must be aware that failure to attend class may result in being dropped for non-attendance and this may impact their student financial aid. Students who stop attending class and do not notify the Registrar’s Office will be responsible for 100% of the tuition until they have completed the necessary withdrawal paperwork. If a student has either dropped or withdrawn from all their courses, they will be considered withdrawn from the institution and may be required to apply for readmission.

You should also be aware that each instructor designs attendance regulations for his or her classes and will announce them at the beginning of the semester. You have to meet those requirements or risk failing the course. Most instructors regard good attendance as additional evidence of a student’s progress, and a number of them do not give top marks to students who only show up for the minimum number of classes, even if exam scores are high. Preparation and participation are also key. The university expects students to spend about two hours on preparation for every one hour of class, which is pretty much the norm for all colleges. The fact is, even if the course is tough for you, if you show up and show this kind of effort, it may well be the difference between passing and failing.

Contacting a Professor

Q. How do I get in contact with my professor outside of class?

A. Professors usually list their contact information on the top of their syllabus which is handed out on the first day of class. Many professors post office hours online or outside their office door. You could either call your professor, email, or stop by the office during office hours. If you are still having difficulty contacting the professor, call or see the department secretary. The secretary can provide you with the contact information from the syllabus or forward a message on your behalf. A list of department secretaries and their contact information is provided in this handbook.

Dean’s List

Q. What are the criteria for making the Dean’s List?

A. The answer is easy: hard work. Complete 12 standard-graded semester hour credits with at least a 3.5 average GPA (those three A’s and that tag-along B, or 2 A-minuses and two B-pluses, etc.). Do it in a single semester if you are a full-time student, or in one academic year if you are part-time. All work must be completed at the time grades are officially posted to the student’s academic record. For more information refer to the WCSU website at http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/policies.asp

Old Main in WinterDropping a Course

Q. Is withdrawing from a course the same as dropping it?

A. No, although you must notify the registrar and your instructor when withdrawing from, as well as dropping, a course. You can drop a course during the first week it is offered and it will not appear on your transcript. Dropping the course without replacing it, however, may cause you to lose full-time status (less than 12 semester hour credits, meaning you are not taking enough credits). In that case you must change your status from full-time to part-time, or you must request to withdraw from that course, which will then appear on your record with a grade of W. Be aware: financial aid, housing, and your insurance may be impacted by any negative change in your course-credit status. For more information about dropping a course, refer to http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/forms.asp. For more information about withdrawing from a course, refer to http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/changing-your-schedule/

Final Exams

Q. What if I can’t make it to the final exam?

A. Connecticut State University System rules state that final examinations (cumulative examinations) may be given only in the time period scheduled for such tests. That’s a pretty unbendable rule, so make sure you don’t make unwise plans, like unchangeable plane reservations. Other types of tests may be given throughout the term, but that’s a call your instructor must make.


Q.  How do I compute my overall Grade Point Average?

A. Listed below are the number values derived from your grades. Your grade point average is calculated based on these values and the number of credits earned. It’s true — the GPA you earn by graduation will follow you wherever a college degree really matters!**

A 4.0 C- 1.67 P Pass on Pass/Fail Option
A- 3.67 D+ 1.33 FP Fail on Pass/Fail Option
B+ 3.33 D 1.0 W Officially Withdrawn
B 3.0 D- .67 WF Withdrawn Failing
B- 2.67 F .0 WFP Withdrawn failing from a Pass/Fail course
C+ 2.33 AUD Audit RM/RP* Given in specified courses to permit you to
C 2.0 INC Incomplete            improve competence without academic penalty

*Courses in which the RM or RP grade is allowed to be given:

CHE 100, COM 160/161/162, FR 162/164, GER 162/164, IT 162/164, MAT 100/100P, PHY 110/111, SPA 162/164, WRT 101/101P

**For a more detailed explanation of the above and other letter grades, consult the current undergraduate catalog, available at wcsu.edu/catalogs/undergraduate/academic-services-procedures/ section entitled Grades, Honors and Good Standing.

CommencementGraduating with Honors

Q. What does “Graduating with Honors” mean?

A. The following universally recognized honors are conferred upon graduating seniors who achieve them by earning the grade-point average required. (All students must have earned a minimum of 30 credits at WCSU to be considered.) Graduation honors for the Commencement program are based on credits earned and your cumulative GPA at the end of the fall semester.

Summa Cum Laude – 3.9 to 4.0
Magna Cum Laude – 3.7 to 3.89
Cum Laude – 3.5 to 3.69

Guidelines on Classes Missed Because of University-Sponsored Events

Q. What happens if one of my games or concerts is scheduled during my class time?

ChuckA. There is not one answer.  Please read the guidelines by the University Senate below:

Each semester students and professors must deal with the inevitable conflict between class and university-sponsored co-curricular activities. As the university grows and the student body becomes more diverse, it is clear that student activities outside the classroom will continue to increase. It is the purpose of these guidelines to spell out the relationship between the two activities, and to suggest a way of accommodating any potential conflict between the two.

It is the responsibility of all students to recognize that meeting the requirements of all classes is their first priority. It is the student’s responsibility to communicate with their professors before a conflict occurs, if possible, to ensure that all classroom work is properly made up. It is also the student’s responsibility to make up all required work as well as to become familiar with the material presented in the class that was missed.

By definition, university-sponsored events are legitimate, co-curricular events that are scheduled through a university department or entity, with adequate notice to all parties. For example, participation in a sports contest or a museum trip for the university would be such an event, but attending a practice session would not. It is requested that faculty members understand the depth of the students’ commitment, allow reasonable accommodation of student activities and permit work missed because of legitimate university events to be made up. To download the Missed Classes Form go to: http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/stuaffairs/forms.asp. This form was approved by the University Senate at the 10/20/2004 Senate meeting and is the correct form to use.

Leave of Absence

Q. I am no longer able to concentrate on my studies and need to take a break. What do I do?

A. If you find you have to leave school for a period of no more than one year, you can apply for a leave of absence. It’s similar to withdrawing from the university, but it means you may return and resume your studies without having to formally re-enter the university. Students interested in applying for a Leave of Absence should complete the forms with a representative from the Registrar’s Office. One-semester leaves may be extended with the permission of the dean but approval of the extension must be secured before the original leave time has lapsed. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar or online. For more information refer to: http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/schange.asp and the Registrar’s Forms page at http://staging.www.wcsu.edu/registrar/forms.asp

Haas LibraryLibraries

Q. What are the basic borrowing rules at WCSU’s libraries?

A. Guidelines for borrowing materials at the libraries:

    • You must have a current Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) ID card to borrow books and reserve materials. The CSCU Library System (WestSearch) online catalog is available at http://library.ct.edu/wcsu. Periodical and research databases are available from http://libguides.wcsu.edu/databases
    • Users may borrow circulating materials from all other CSCU libraries and have them delivered to the Haas or Young libraries.
    • Circulating materials borrowed at one location may be renewed or returned at either the Haas or Young library, or at any of the other CSCU libraries. Reserve material must be returned to the lending library.
    • Books may be renewed online by going to the library’s <My Library Account> link in WestSearch.
    • Books and media circulate for 28 days, unless requested by another user, and may be renewed once for an additional 28 days.
    • Fines are ten cents per day for books and $1 per day for videos, CDs and DVDs.
    • All overdue books must be returned. All fines, replacement and processing fees must be paid by the end of the semester to be able to register for classes, receive diplomas, or obtain transcripts. Library fines exceeding $10 will prevent access to borrowing books, requesting books from other CSCU libraries and linking to online library databases from off campus.

Q. Is library information available from off-site locations?

A. The libraries provide 24/7 virtual access to a wide variety of databases that furnish full text access to thousands of ebooks, journals, magazines, newspapers, art images, music, and streaming video. These resources can be found on the library webpages and can be accessed on or off campus using your university Windows ID and password.

Midterm Grades

Q. When do midterm grades come out?

A. The first grade report comes approximately nine weeks into the semester. These midterm grades don’t show permanently on your transcript, and they don’t factor into your GPA — but they do reflect the progress you are making in each class. If you’re running a D, F or INC, that’s a warning! You need to see your instructor about getting help. Or talk to your advisor. You might want to think about withdrawing from that class – but remember, financial aid, housing, health insurance, etc., may be impacted by any negative change in your course-credit status. The important thing to remember is that a D, F or INC grade at midterm is a red flag and is the time to make a change through your instructor, advisor, Academic Advisement or any WCSU faculty or staff member who you feel comfortable approaching.

Plagiarism & Cheating

Q. What exactly is plagiarism?

A. For more information, see the Academic Honesty Policy.


Q. What happens if I accidentally register for classes that overlap or are on different campuses?

A. Our system is set up to let you know if classes you are trying to register for overlap but it will not warn you if you are registering for classes on different campuses. Pay special attention to the following building codes:

BR – Berkshire Hall, Midtown campus
HA – Higgins Annex, Midtown campus
HI – Higgins Hall, Midtown campus
HL – Haas Library, Midtown campus
KHH – Kathwari Honors House, Midtown campus
ON – O’Neill Center, Westside campus
SB – Science Building, Midtown campus
VPAC – Visual & Performing Arts Center, Westside campus
WA – Warner Hall, Midtown campus
WH – White Hall, Midtown campus
WS – Westside Classroom Building, Westside campus

Off Campus Sites:
WE – Ekstrom Hall, Waterbury
WF – Founders Hall, Waterbury
WK – Kinney Hall, Waterbury
WSC – NVCC Student Center, Waterbury
WT – Technology Hall, Waterbury
NW – West Campus, Norwalk CC

Make sure you have enough time between classes to get from one campus to the next (you should plan at least 30 minutes between Midtown and Westside). Do not register for a class in Waterbury if you have no way of getting there.

Registration PIN Numbers

Q. How do I get my Registration PIN Number? When do I register?

A. Check your WCSU email account regularly for registration information.

  • Log into WestConnduit to find out who your advisor is and the earliest date you can register. Click on the Banner tab and select “Check Registration Status.”
  • Make an appointment with your advisor one to two weeks in advance of your registration date. Find out when their office hours are and either stop by or email/call ahead to make an appointment. Don’t forget to leave your contact information.
  • Look at your program sheet and pick a potential schedule for next semester using Open/Close. (Program sheets list the degree
    requirements for each major and can be found online at
    staging.www.wcsu.edu/aca demics/programsheets or may be obtained in the relevant academic department, the office of the School Dean, or at the Admissions Office).
  • Bring the program sheet and tentative schedule when you see your advisor.
  • Discuss your choices, follow your advisor’s advice, get your PIN number

(Remember: this PIN number changes every semester.)

  • Register online for the classes your advisor recommends.

Field HockeySatisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Q. What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

A. Students receiving financial assistance under the federally supported Title IV Programs must comply with a set of standards to be eligible for such assistance. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is an assessment of your cumulative academic record at WCSU and is measured on a per-term basis. This policy is separate and apart from other academic policies at the university.

There are three components measured and weighed in determining SAP to ensure successful completion of a degree within a timeframe consistent with federal regulations.

Students applying for financial aid must maintain status as a matriculated graduate or undergraduate. Matriculated students are evaluated for Satisfactory Academic Progress based upon qualitative and quantitative standards, as well as a Maximum Timeframe standard.

Students who enroll in the Fresh Start program will only have the credits retained and new GPA as calculated by Fresh Start included in the determination of their SAP status for the re-entry term.

Financial Aid Programs Affected by Satisfactory Academic Progress

SAP is required for all Title IV funds, state, university and some alternative loan programs including, but not exclusive, to the following:

  • Federal Pell and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
  • Federal Loans: Perkins; Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized; Direct Parent/Graduate PLUS
  • Federal Work Study Program
  • Roberta B. Willis Scholarship
  • Connecticut State University Grant
  • State scholarship and grant programs

There are several areas on campus for which SAP is important, and they include financial aid, housing, and athletics. Please familiarize yourself with each area’s individual SAP requirements by looking at their webpages.

For more information on SAP, visit wcsu.edu/finaid/policies/academic-progress/ or contact our office.

Tutoring Resource CenterStudy Skills

Q. My study skills are not great. I’m not good at note-taking in history or English, and I’m clueless about math — and I have a major math exam coming up!

A. There’s a lot of that going around. The cure is simple: go to one or all of the three professionally-staffed centers that provide guidance and instruction to students who need help in specific subjects or who just want to get some really effective studying techniques.

The centers are located in the Haas Library (Writing Center and Tutoring Resource Center) and Higgins Hall (Math Clinic) and are open weekdays, selected evenings and, when possible, weekends. Students work one-on-one with staff or student tutors in a friendly, supportive atmosphere. You can also choose to work independently on computers or form small study groups. Call or come by the centers to find out how they work!

The Math Clinic (Higgins Hall 108; 203-837-9244) is run by the mathematics department. The Math Clinic works on a first-come, first-served, walk-in basis and is free of charge. Appointments cannot be made. The tutors in the clinic are there to support the needs of students taking undergraduate mathematics courses. Occasionally tutors will try to help students with general math questions in non-mathematics classes, but this is not their primary purpose or expertise. In general, the tutors will be helping groups of students in a variety of courses. There is no extended one-on-one tutoring in the Math Clinic; students interested in extended one-on-one tutoring are directed to the Tutoring Resource Center. Note that tutors will not help with take-home exams, and other forms of assessments that must be completed by the individual student.

The Tutoring Resource Center (TRC) in the Haas Library, 2nd floor; 203-837-9245 provides assistance to students who need one-on-one tutoring, free of charge, in any academic discipline taught on both WCSU campuses. Students also may participate in the TRC sponsored workshops, which cover concepts such as note-taking, test-taking, time management, research and other relevant topics. Students may choose to work one-on-one with WCSU professor-recommended student tutors in a friendly, supportive atmosphere, or they may choose to work independently on the TRC computers or form small study groups. This center is an important hub for students to maintain their academic success. Details of current TRC activity are on the website at wcsu.edu/trc.

In the Writing Center (Haas Library 302) students receive free assistance with writing for any class or outside writing project. The Center’s undergraduate and graduate student tutors offer guidance in all aspects of writing, from development and organization to editing and proofreading. No initial draft is required. Students may make an appointment via the website or walk in for help. All services are free to registered students.

Withdrawing from a Course

Q. How do I withdraw from a course? Just quit going to class?

A. Absolutely NOT. You must withdraw formally or you will receive an “F” for the course. First, check with the registrar to see if it’s not too late to withdraw, then submit the necessary documentation. wcsu.edu/registrar/schange.asp Tell your instructor you are withdrawing — and, if you haven’t consulted your advisor yet, it would be smart to let him/her know, too. Never just quit going to class!