Financial Aid

Undocumented Students

Western Connecticut State University is an institution for all students and values excellence, engagement, and opportunity.

In-state tuition for undocumented students living in Connecticut

In 2011, the Connecticut General Assembly approved a law that allows undocumented students residing in Connecticut to pay in-state tuition at Connecticut’s public colleges and universities. In 2015, the legislature also reduced the requirement for Connecticut high school attendance from four years to two years. To be eligible for in-state tuition at a state institution, students must:

  • Be a resident of Connecticut
  • Have attended at least two years of high school in Connecticut
  • Have graduated (or received high school diploma equivalency) from a Connecticut high school or is enrolled at a public institution of higher education in this state.


Institutional Financial Aid

On April 27, 2018, the Connecticut General Assembly, with the support of Governor Malloy, enacted a new state law that allows undocumented students to apply for institutional financial aid.  These students must meet certain age, residency, and criminal history requirements along with an affidavit with the institution they are attending about their intent to legalize their immigration status when they are eligible to do so.  This does not apply to non-immigrant visa holders.

Undocumented students may apply for institutional aid consideration toward the Spring 2020 semester. To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes;
  • Thirty years of age or younger on June 15, 2012;
  • Sixteen years of age or younger when they arrived in the United States and have continuously resided in the United States since such arrival; and
  • Have not been convicted of a felony in this state or another state.

The application will be available on August 27 (first day of Fall 2019) and the deadline will be November 1.

For information/questions, please contact Melissa Stephens, Director of the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment.


AACTUS (Spanish)


Other Financial Aid

At this time, undocumented students do not qualify for state or federal financial aid funding.

Financing Opportunities at Western

Students may apply for Foundation Scholarship opportunities with the Office of Institutional Advancement. To be considered for a Foundation Scholarship, including merit and talent based awards, students must complete the Scholarship Application online. Applicants must either be enrolled or have applied through the Admissions Office to attend WCSU for consideration.

We encourage you to search for scholarship opportunities from additional resources. Many organizations do not have restrictions based on citizenship or legal status.

Students may also consider Payment Plan options offered through the Cashier’s Office to assist in meeting their educational expenses.

Please see the university website for Undocumented Student Support Services for more information.